Natural disasters are relatively sudden events and cause large scale deaths, loss of property and disturbance to the social systems and life, over which the
people have little or no control.
Natural hazards on the other hand are the elements of circumstances in the natural environment that have the potential to cause harm to the people, property or both.
The Natural disasters are classified into
Atmospheric disaster that includes blizzards, thunderstorms, lightening, tornadoes, tropical cyclones, drought, etc.
Disasters like tsunamis, earthquakes, floods, landslides, volcanic eruptions, etc., have struck Earth from, time-to-time. These events have caused a huge loss to human life and property.
India is vulnerable to various kinds of disasters. Around 60% of the total area of the country is vulnerable to seismic activities. 8% of the total landmass is vulnerable to floods. Out of the total 7,500 km long coastline, 5,700 km is affected by cyclonic activities. 68% area is susceptible to drought. With this kind of disaster scenario, disaster management becomes very essential for the country.