Graphical Method – When two lines are parallel
- If the straight line represented by two linear equations are parallel to each other, then
- Such a system of equations is called inconsistent, or the system has no solution
- The two equations y = x + 4; y = x + 1 has no solution as they do not intersect each other
Graphical Method – When the lines coinside
- If the straight lines represented by two linear equations are coincident to each other, then
- Such a system of equations is called dependent or consistent, or the system has infinite solutions
- The two equations 2x + 3y = 64; 4x +6y =12 have infinite solutions as they coincide.