1. Select a State-Fish from the Official Fish List.
2. Utilize the State-Fish Art Lesson Plan, Books, reputable Internet Sources and the Outdoors (go fishing if you can!) to learn about your selected species.
3. Read through the Rules & Guidelines to be sure your artwork and essay will qualify for the contest.
Optional: Select to enter into a special Award Category.
Optional: Look at Judge’s Wisdom & Inspiration Page for advice and examples of previous art and essays.
4. Create your State-Fish Art Entry consisting of two parts:
An original HORIZONTAL 9″X12″ ART ILLUSTRATION of ANY STATE-FISH on the “official state-fish list” linked below.
A personally written essay (ONE SIDE OF ONE PAGE) relating to their chosen fish species, its behavior, habitat or conservation issues and/or needs.
5. Complete a contest Entry Form (AK, GA, MO and TX have separate Entry Forms) and affix the form to the back of the artwork with a clear glue stick.
6.Mail your entry to the address listed at the top of your Entry Form before March 31st.
Judging occurs on Earth Day (April 22nd) and winners are announced the first Monday of May at StateFishArt.org
Artwork that has placed 1st in its age category and state will be held onto so it can be displayed at the EXPO in August.