There are many benefits when the kids are in to Boarding/Residential schools like developing utmost discipline and sense of punctuality, close guidance by teachers, to avoid distractions while studying, to develop individuality and many more. Here is a list of Top Boarding/Residential Schools in Ooty.
- Lawrence School, Lovedale
- Hebron School,Ooty
- The Blue Mountains School,Ooty
- Good Shepherd International school, Ooty
- J S S International School, Ooty
- St Hildas School and Junior College, Ooty
- Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College,Ketty
- St Jude's Public School & Junior College,Kotagiri
- Woodside School,Club Road
- Brindavan Public School , Coonoor
Lawrence School, Lovedale
Established on 6th September 1858, and named after the founder Sir Henry Montgomery Lawrence. Located on the central plateau of the Nilgiri Hills that is 6 km away from the Ootacamund in Lovedale, Ooty, Tamil Nadu. Lawrence School was under British administration but later came under the supervision of India before independence. After the takeover by the Government of India as a public school, 40 per cent reservation of seats and a 20 per cent fee subsidy, for children of Defence Personnel was mandated. Lawrence is one among the premier residential, public schools in India and provides a competitive level of education.The school is a member of Round Square International. The classes are from class 1st to class 12th. There is a complete of 855 students within the school and is one among the simplest boarding schools in Ooty.
- Admission starts in March for new academic years,
- The application form is available in the school’s office.
- All the necessary documents should be attached while submitting the application form.
- After receiving your application form, the school will determine if you are eligible for the seat and parents will be notified with the same.
- The school is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi and follows the NCERT curriculum.
- The school covers over 710 acres and has a local railway station which is on the Ootacamund-Mettupalayam meter gauge hill.
- Co – curricular activities like Art , Sculpture,Weaving ,Band , Dance,Piano,Guitar
- Games and Sports includes Athletics , Basketball ,Badminton ,Cricket ,Hockey ,Football ,Squash,Tennis,Archery
- Other hobby clubs include aero modelling,science,nature,robotics,photography,computers and calligraphy.
Ootacamund, The Nilgiris
Tamil Nadu - 643003
Phone : +91 423 2442552
Email : email@example.com
Website : https://www.thelawrenceschool.org/
Established in 1899, Hebron co-ed residential School. Located in Ooty, Tamil Nadu. Hebron aims to supply affordable International education to the scholars . Situated in 20 acres around the former stately home of Lushington Hall, it shares the same entrance with the Ooty botanical gardens. Along with academics, the school also emphasise the general development of the scholars and is one among the simplest boarding schools in Ooty.
Hebron has two different campuses Lushington and Selborne that are 2 km aside from one another . Lushington is that the main school building constructed round the Lushington hall. There are several academic and residential buildings present within the Lushington campus. Selborne contains residential accommodations for senior girls.
- Before admission in Hebron, the student/parent have to give a letter with strong reason why they want to apply for an international curriculum in India.
- All the applicants must apply before the end of January.
- The competition for admission in Hebron is very high as there are a limited number of seats.
- Day scholar students have a very low quota as Hebron is primarily a boarding school.
- Students here follow the International British school system acknowledged by the European Council of International Schools (ECIS).
- They study for the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) and eventually A and AS levels.
- The exams are assessed by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES) board and by Edexcel, London.
- The English National Curriculum leading to IGCSE is taught in 10th and 12th standards and to ‘A’ levels in the 12th and 13th standards.
- Hebron has three standards primary, middle, and secondary school curriculum.
- The primary stage provides a foundation for the students whereas middle and Secondary stages comprise of core subjects.
- Hebron has two different campuses Lushington and Selborne that are 2 km apart from each other
- The school promotes to track and field activities that contain swimming, cross-country running, football, hockey, cricket etc.
- Other sports like squash, table tennis ,touch rugby,volleyball, basketball, badminton and softball are also there.
- Music,Drama and other clubs are also available.
Tamil Nadu - 643001
Phone : 91 423 2225820
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : https://hebronooty.org/
The Blue Mountains School,Ooty
The Blue Mountain School was established in 1962 by F.G. Pearce on a 4-acre campus on the southeastern slopes facing the Ooty valley.The school is a residential co-ed English medium school affiliated to the Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE).The student-teacher ratio of each class is 10:1. The school follows an artistic education developed by well-known educationists David Horsburgh, J.P. Gunawardane and Sardar Mohammed Malik.
The school aims to help students acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to become a compassionate, competent global citizen. The school works on four learning principles that are learning to know, learning to do, learning to be, and learning to live together. They provide cognitive tools, skills, self-analytic and social skills.
- New admissions open from 15th January every year.
- The minimum age is 6 years for admission for 1st class.
- The registration form costs around INR 1500 which can be given using a demand draft.
- The students who are applying for admissions do not attend any test or interview.
- The earlier work of the student is reviewed and discussed with them.
- The school accommodates the students as per the discussions done with the students and their parents.
- Affiliated to the Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE).
- Divided into three steps, the curriculum consists of an elementary school, middle school, and high school.
- The first step provides a beautiful environment for 3 to 6-year-old children to absorb and learn. This reins from Pre-School 1,2,3 to Class 1st.
- Middle school is for 12 to 14 years old students, studying in classes 7th, 8th, and 9th. Trained with course material provided by Cambridge University for the tutorial development of scholars . It helps in providing a strong foundation for preparing the students for the IGCSE, Class 10th exam.
- High school is for students, aged between 15 to 17 years. This part of the school consists of students studying for the board examinations and who will be appearing for the 12th ISC /AS and A-Levels of the Cambridge International Examinations.
- The school organises Treks, Walks, Hikes, Field Visits, or Micro-economic projects on weekends for the students.
- Classes and workshops in Art, Needlecraft, Singing, Woodwork,Gardening and Cooking are conducted.
- Quiz, Debate-Discussion and Presentations are conducted regularly at the school
- Piano,Keyboard,Music and Guitar are held twice a week.
Tamil Nadu - 643001
Phone : 91 423 2444837 / 91 423 2440848
Email : email@example.com
Website : http://www.bluemountainsschool.com/
Good Shepherd International school, Ooty
Established in 1977 by Dr P C Thomas, the great Shepherd International school covers the 188-hectare campus at Palada, Ooty, Tamil Nadu. The school aims to nurture talent in students and to prepare them for future challenges through academic excellence and discipline. Good Shepherd International School emphasises the general development of the scholars , including fitness .
- The school starts in the middle of July every year from class 3rd to class 12th.
- For admissions students have to appear for the aptitude test in English and Mathematics which is held in March and June every year.
- The student must clear the aptitude test and personal interview with the coordinator of the class.
- For admission in class 11th parents must visit the school along with the candidate.
- They must have the academic report of class 8th, 9th, and 10th as admission will be based upon their performance in the boards.
- Good Shepherd International School has an affiliation to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE).
- Students have the opportunity to opt for the IB diploma in the final two years of secondary school.
- The Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) has planned a two-year curriculum program which provides a Certificate that is internationally recognised as equal in standard to the British GCSE and International GCE ‘O’ LEVEL Examinations.
- 56 lecture rooms and 2 lecture theatres.
- Golf courses, swimming pools, rifle range
- 6 computer labs and audiovisual labs.
- The library contains over 1 lakh books and has subscribed to over 75 magazines, journals, and papers.
- The campus contains basketball, volleyball, tennis, and badminton courts and 4 indoor squash courts.
- Stables with around 40 horses.
- Nutritious and well-balanced food is given to the students with separate vegetarian, Jain, and non-vegetarian kitchen.
- The school also contains a hospital with 40 beds, ICU, ambulance, and well-qualified doctors and nurses.
Good Shepherd Knowledge Village,
Tamil Nadu - 643004
Phone : 0423 255 0371 / 0423-2551000
Email : https://gsis.ac.in/
Website : firstname.lastname@example.org
J S S International School, Ooty
The J.S.S. International School was established in the year 1991. It is co-educational boardingschool which is open to both boarders as well as day scholars from Grade 1 to Grade 12. The medium of instruction is English. The school campus is a secure, comfortable place and provides students with an inspiring and motivating environment. The school offers high-quality education dedicated to building minds with conviction, integrity, social and moral responsibility.
- Parents can collect admission form from the school reception or online.
- After submission of form along with relevant documents parents will be given an appointment to meet the school authorities.
- For Grades 2 to 9 an admission test is conducted by the school.
- The school is affiliated to IGCSE 'O' level, 'AS' and 'A' levels, CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education).
- Well ventilated classrooms & a play area.
- Amphitheatre is located in the play field.
- Sports like Football, Basket ball, volley ball, badminton, golf and tennis are encouraged by the school.
- Other activities like Yoga, Jogging, Cycling, Karate, Judo, Horse riding, Music are also encouraged.
- Library and other Laboratories.
- Weekend activities include nature walks, boating, camping and visits to neighboring wild life game sanctuaries- Madumalai in Tamil Nadu and Bandipur in Karnataka.
Theetukal, Fernhill Post,
Ooty, The Nilgiris,
Tamil Nadu – 643004
Phone : 0423 244 2520
Email : email@example.com
Website : http://jssinternationalschoolooty.com/
ST.Hildas School and Junior College, Ooty
St.Hilda’s Diocesan School was founded by the sisters of the Church Extension Association in 1895, near the lake. It stands on a spur of the Nilgiris, being 300 feet above the lake. The mission of ST.Hildas School, Ootacamund, is to create an institution of excellence that integrates knowledge and learning to equip students for life.
- Applications are made through a prescribed format, with a payment of a registration fee that is non-refundable. This payment does not guarantee admission to the school.
- All admissions will be decided only on the basis of the performance of the applicant in the entrance tests and the availability of seats.
- St. Hilda's School is a Girls school affiliated to ICSE syllabus.
- The school has well equipped laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- The computer lab has been updated with the latest machines .
- The school library is well equipped with a wide selection of books which are available to staff and the students.
- The school chapel is situated in the central part of the school building.
- Infirmary to take care of students during sickness.
- The 200m play ground.
- Sports like basketball and table tennis.
- Karate Training is given for self defense.
- Music Education includes Piano , Violin,Guitar and Drums.
Sheddon Rd, Pudumund,
Tamil Nadu - 643001
Phone : 91 423 2442540.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://www.sthildasooty.com
Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College,Ketti
The Laidlaw Memorial School is an English-medium school that was established in 1914 in Kodaikanal and moved to Ketti in 1922.The school sincerely believes in providing both intellectual, and value based, education that builds fundamental traits of character like honesty, courage, discipline at the same time developing a positive attitude in life, that turns students into WINNERS.The school provides quality education at an affordable cost.
- Applications are available for from Class 1 onwards and have to be made at least a year in advance.
- The minimum age for admission in class 1 is 5 years and above, and the child must have attended KG for at least two years.
- Children are admitted after a Common Entrance exam which is conducted in January.
- A personal interview will be conducted after 15 days of Entrance Test and both parents should be present with the child.
- The School is a Private, Co-educational Institution, administered by a Board of Management, and affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examination.
- Music, Singing, Elocution, Debating, Quizzing, Photography and Indoor games.
- The Games and Sports include Cricket, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Chess, Badminton, Gymnastics and Athletics.
- Students are also encouraged to play indoor games such as chess and carroms.
- School also has clubs like interaction club,photography club,cooking club.
Tamilnadu - 643003
Phone : 91 423 2517086 / 2517774 / 2517778
Email : email@example.com
Website : http://www.laidlawschool.org/
St. Jude's Public School & Junior College,Kotagiri
St. Jude's Public School & Junior College is a residential public school founded in 1979 by P. P. Dhanarajan..It is located in the city of Kotagiri in the Nilgiris district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It follows the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) and Indian School Certificate (ISC) examinations conducted by the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations.
- Admisssion form is available at the school office for classes 1 to 9 and 11 for Rs 300.
- Information about the availability of seats, the date for the entrance exam and a set of model question papers will be sent before the first week of January.
- Entrance exams are scheduled for the first three weeks of February.
- Admission are based as per the availability of seats in each class and the child's performance in the entrance exam and previous academic records.
- The Institution is affiliated to the ISC Council, which has its origin from the Cambridge School system in the U.K.
- It prepares students for the I.C.S.E. examination after the completion of a ten year course which is recognized by all the Universities in India and Abroad.
- Hostel facilities have been provided separately for boys and girls.
- Separate dining halls are provided for vegetarians & non-vegetarians.
- School has a health department with its qualified physician and nurse.
- Excursions and picnics are arranged for the students.
- Compulsory games in the evenings train the child in Foot Ball, Basket Ball, Volley Ball, Table Tennis, Lawn Tennis, Badminton, Athletics, etc.
- Yoga which prepares the child to face the day, both mentally and physically.
- School conductes programmes for improving skills in music , dance and dramatics.
- Elocution, Debate, Quiz, Recitation, Story Telling.
- Painting & Needle Work are held by the department of Art and Craft.
Tamilnadu - 643 217
Phone : 91 4266 275709 / 91 4266 275809
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : https://www.stjudesonline.in/
Woodside School,Club Road
Woodside School was established in the year 1991 in the heart of Ooty town on a 17 acre site.The school caters to the needs of students from all over India on a co-educational basis. The School admits students for both boarding and day scholar. CBSE syllabus is followed with low teacher-to-student ratio. Personal attention to every pupil is guaranteed. The school ensures that practical knowledge is give an equal importance along with the theoretical knowledge for the all round development of students. The curriculum is thoughtfully designed to provide students a vibrant learning atmosphere along with opportunity to develop diverse areas of their potential.
- Admission enquiry and registration should ideally be made from January on wards.
- Application forms can be obtained from the School office after approval by the Principal.
- Admissions are done based on the performance of the students in the Aptitude Analysis Test.
- Decision on the eligibility and acceptance of a student is generally given on the same day.
- The school is affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi and follows the NCERT curriculum.
- The school has well equipped laboratories for Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Computer Science.
- Transport facilities.
- Well equipped Library
- Students are given training for sports like football,volleyball,basketball and cricket.
Ooty – 643001
Phone : 0423 2441703 / 0423 2442686
Email : email@example.com
Website : www.woodsideschoolooty.com
Brindavan Public School , Coonoor
Brindavan Public School is situated on the slopes of the Western Ghats in the Nilgiris. The campus is 3 km from Coonoor, in Wellington, just off the main Ooty-Coonoor road..The school has a rich heritage of imparting quality education in the Nilgiris. The teachers stay abreast of the latest by regularly attending teacher training workshops and leverage the state-of-the-art facilities available at Brindavan Coonoor. The Medium of Instruction is English. Tamil and Hindi are offered as second languages.
- The academic year starts in the month of June every year.
- Admissions are open from kindergarten upward.
- Application and prospectus can be obtained from the head of the school by giving Rs.300/- through MO or pay order,
- Children registered for admission will attend simple assessment test.
- The decision will be made by the school management based on interview.
- Brindavan Public School at Coonoor has classes I through XII and is affiliated to the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) / Indian School Certificate (ISC).
- The school has an infirmary, with a resident nurse to take care of the sick. A doctor is on call 24 hours.
- The dormitories are spacious and well ventilated.
- organic vegetable garden serve as the freshest possible ingredients in the meals prepared for our children.
- The Coonoor school offers both vegetarian and non-vegetarian diet.
Wellington Bazaar Post, Coonoor,
The Nilgiris Dist ,
Tamil Nadu – 643 232
Phone: 91 (423) 2230229
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : https://www.brindavanschools.org/