Overweight and obesity are increasing problems that lead to significant health and social problems for people. Today’s way of life is less physical activity than it used to be people travel on buses and cars to ,rather than walk and many people work in offices ,where they are sitting almost the whole day. This increase their calories for the amount of food they eat and they are not getting burnt off as energy. Rather extra calories are stored as fat.
What are some of the most common reasons for kids being overweight?
- Lack of physical activity
- Poor eating habits
- Overall diet
As parents or other concerned adults, you may ask: What steps can we take to prevent obesity in our children. Here are some basic steps you can follow to have your kids grow healthy
Encourage healthy eating habits:
- Allow them to eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain products.
- Provide low-fat or non-fat milk or dairy products.
- Choose lean meats, poultry, fish, lentils, and beans for protein.
- Serve reasonably-sized portions.
- Remind your family to drink lots of water.
- Limit sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Limit consumption of sugar and saturated fat.
- Strengthening bones.
- Decreasing blood pressure.
- Reducing stress and anxiety.
- Increasing self-esteem.
- Helping with weight management.
Child-size Portions :
- Learn to read food lables
- Share a meal
- Eat half or less
- Use a smaller plate
- Slow down and skip second helpings
Help kids stay active :
- Brisk walking.
- Playing tag.
- Jumping rope.
- Playing soccer.
- Having a proper eight hours sleep.
- Early sleep early rise.
- Sleep improves your immune function.
- Improves your memory.
- Sharpen attention.
- Lower stress .
- Using a morning ritual
- Do things even if you don’t like it
- Let go of your old images
- Use reminders in your environment
- Don’t hurt yourself
Less Screen Time :
- Eat your meals without a screen
- Don’t watch TV or movies in bed
- Exercise as you watch
- Set a timer
- Cut down on computer socialize